Conflict Resolution


 

My recent conflict that I have been dealing with involves my son’s preschool director. She continues to place a note on my sign in/out page stating that I owe money. I disagree and don’t understand why she thinks I owe money. I pay on time regularly and I couldn’t understand why she thinks I owe money. I first decided to avoid the situation and wait to see if the director approached me. However nothing changed. I then decided to try and speak with her, but every time I dropped my son off, the director walked the other way and never addressed the situation with me. This happened multiple times so I was pretty upset and finally ready to discuss the issue with her. I remember that I needed to remain calm and respectful and listen to her side as well. I listened to her side of the story and I explained mine and she didn’t seem to care what I was saying. Finally, I asked her to provide me with a statement so we can compare her records with mine. We finally determined that she credited the wrong account with one of my payments.  I was frustrated because I felt it was her job to communicate with me better and discuss the situation with me in person instead of writing a note every day. I am curious how my colleagues would have handled the situation if they were the director and how they would handle it if they were me.

1 comment:

  1. As the assistant director at the center I work, I am the one responsible for accounts. When I have an account that has a balance I have multiple things that I do. Our weekly payments are due by 10am on Tuesdays and our monthly's by the second business day or there is a late fee. For our weekly payments I give courtesy calls on Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning as a reminder that their payment has not been received and whether or not I applied a late fee. I usually take into consideration why the payment is late if they are not habitually late. After I make the phone calls I print new statements and send them out to the child's classroom. I again make calls on Friday if I still have not received payment. If I see the parent I will stop them and personally remind them that a payment is due. Sometimes mistakes are made and I have no problem investigating charges/credits on an account. I do not like the way your situation was handled. I do not like calling parents about their payments but it is my responsibility and I try to be polite and friendly about it when I call because you are likely to get your payment a lot sooner than if you call demanding payment, even though after two weeks those are the types of calls I have to make. My corporate office requires weekly reports on all accounts that have a balance and I have to notate how I communicated with the parent.

    ReplyDelete