The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression


What memory do you have of an incident when you experienced bias, prejudice, and/or oppression, or witnessed someone else as the target of bias, prejudice, and/or oppression?



It was a bit difficult for me to think of an experience at first and then I realized that I have actually witnessed people treat me a bit differently because I am a single “young” mother.  I wrote “young” because I look young so people assume that I am a lot younger than I actually am and when my son was a couple years old, I got braces on my teeth so I looked even younger. I have had people make comments to me regarding being a young mom and ask me if the dad is still in the picture or if my parents help out. When this first happened I was extremely embarrassed and I started wearing a “wedding ring” so that people would stop asking me questions and staring at me when I went anywhere with my son. I am actually in my thirties and have seen parents who are older than me be awful parents to their children so I think age of a mother or father shouldn’t be anyone else’s concern especially when they are judging them on the age rather than their parenting ability.  The way have been treated made me feel like a lot of people have issues with young, single mothers which upset me because these strangers don’t know how old I am, if my sons father passed away, if I am divorced, or whatever. In order to change this incident into opportunity for great equality I do what I know best, be a great, hard working mother. I prove to those people that they can judge a book by the cover.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Hope,

    I enjoyed reading your post. It is amazing in this world how people will judge you without even knowing you. I believe that single parents and married parents have strong parenting abilities and skills. It is no one'S business to judge another person if they decide to be a single mother. I have a lot of friends who are single moms and I salute them because they are awesome. I have worked with single moms who were 13 and older and they were strong and I did not judge them because they were young parents, instead I guided, encouraged, and supported them to be respectful and good mothers to their kids.

    ReplyDelete