Valuing Culture: Beyond Surface Labels

I have witnessed moments of microaggression occurring to others and I have also experienced it as well. I have had people most recently say things to me about being a single mother and I know they aren’t trying to offend me when they say it, but it does bother me even when I try not to let it. I typically try to brush it off, but find myself replaying their words in my head often. I also have witnessed my friend,  who is Mexican, go through it when she was worried about her accent. She was worried that people couldn’t understand her and another person commented that her accent was pretty and it didn’t sound like she was from Mexico. I was amazed at what was said, but it wasn’t the first time I have seen this occur. Often times I am unsure if I should say something because I don’t want to upset or offend my friend any more, but sometimes I feel it is necessary to call the microaggressors out on it. After discussing this topic this week I found myself thinking a lot more about what I was saying to people before I actually said it. I also found myself paying attention more to what others were saying and actually witnessing microaggression more than I’ve noticed in the past

No comments:

Post a Comment