Childbirth-In my life and around the world!

When researching births and customs from around the world, I found out about many different and interesting traditions and beliefs. When reading about pregnant Chinese women, I read that there are many taboos regarding food and what a pregnant Chinese woman should eat. Some of the taboos consisted of eating pineapple because it may cause miscarriage or making sure all food is cut up and mashed or the baby will have a careless deposition. The Chinese also believe that pregnant woman should refrain from having construction in the home during pregnancy and pregnant woman should refrain from hammering because it could cause deformities. The Chinese also do not believe in naming the child before he or she is born. After the baby is born the mother is expected to stay home for the first 40 days in somewhat of a confinement. I found the Chinese traditions and customs to be very interesting and some of them were very similar to my birthing experience and beliefs. First of all, I remember when I was pregnant many people told me about various foods that I should and shouldn’t eat with different beliefs about what could happen if I did eat them. All though I didn’t truly believe all of the advice I was given, I still followed what I was told because I didn’t want something to be wrong with my baby when he was born and I would blame myself for not listening to what advice was given. I remember not chewing come for nine months because someone told me it was bad for the baby. I also chose to stay at home with my son for the first 2 months after he was born because I was told that it would allow him to build up his immune system. However, unlike Chinese women, I did name my child before he was born and I think this is the case for many American women.

Throughout my pregnancy and even during labor, I felt that it was important to stay calm and patient because my son could sense and feel my emotions and I didn’t want to put stress on him. My son is a very patient and down to earth child and I think it’s because of this. Even today I try not to get too worked up in front of him and I make sure to not discuss disagreements in front of him. I I remember being dilated way before my due date and I remember my doctor telling me that my son was turned diagonal and wasn't head down yet so I had some time. I remember my son was very active and always moving around until I was at my appointments and my doctor was checking me. The doctor laughed and told me I have a baby with quite a personality. My parents were flying in from Michigan to be with me when my son was born. I felt like he was going to come early so I called my parents and told them to hop on a plane. They arrived and 2 days later  I woke up with sharp pains. I had been feeling them a lot throughout the night, but wasn't sure if I was in labor. So at about 5am I called my sister and asked her if my pains meant I was in labor. Sure enough I was. I went to the hospital thinking that my son would be born shortly. I knew that I was going to have an epidural if I needed it and I tried for a while to not have it, but I soon gave in. When I was getting the epidural the nurse asked me if I was okay and I remember telling her I was, but I didn't think my husband was. The nurse looked at him as he was about to faint and grabbed him and sat him down. Soon after my epidural I started having some complications. My blood pressure was dropping and my son was still turned and being stubborn. I was not aware, but they were preparing for a C-section. Luckily they were able to turn my son and I was able to begin pushing. My son was born sunny side up a week early at 9:40pm. He weighed 7 pounds 9 ounces. Four years later he is a stubborn little boy with a remarkable sense of humor that reminds me of when he was in my belly. My pregnancy and birth of my son was the most amazing experience and I feel privileged to be able to experience such a magical part of life.

http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/labor_birth/birthing_traditions/article/childbirth-traditions-china/

http://www.4panda.com/chinatips/culture/baby.htm











No comments:

Post a Comment